Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Some tea canisters

Initially, I started off as I typically do, thinking about the endless topics that I feel strongly about, but of which few, I am compelled to respond to through my art work. Then I came to this thought where I wanted to create a piece that had no concept behind it other than it being a practical piece that was made for a purpose that spoke to the desires of those who I am closest with...that can be summed up on one short word: tea. See, I live for tea and the opportunity to drink tea over a great conversation...so I wanted to make "boxes" that would reference tea. What better containers than loose leaf tea canisters?

Rather than making one container, I will be making a series of three small-medium size canisters that will have a lid, created so that the tea will not grow stale. Unlike the photo pictured to the right, I do not want the canisters to be uniform in shape. Likely, they will have a painted design parallel with each other and be different forms. I hope for these forms to be delicate pieces with a great deal of detail painted once glazed. 

I plan to use terracotta to create these pieces because I think it will be an effective material while using the tin-based glaze and various under glazes to add detail and dimension to these pieces. I am currently unsure of the style of lids I hope to utilize, but will research demos and more information regarding what creates the best seal to store foods in while still ensuring that the piece looks finished and the lid does not look too utilitarian that it detracts from the fragility and ornamentation shown in these pieces. 

Though I am not making a teapot, I am crazy about the lid on this pot, I think that it is beautifully cohesive with the rest of the form, which is something that I hope to captivate in these canisters...I want whatever lid that I design to look like it's supposed to be there: an ambitious journey I am sure to embark on seeing as I have not yet made a lid. But I am excited, surely. 

-O.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment